And now, without further ado, Awesome Calgary's March 2012 Top4 Finalists and Honourable Mentions are, in no particular order:
- Remote Robo-Art by Benjamin Reed: "The nerds & artists of Calgary are collaborating to create a remotely controllable art robot."
- Hello Neighbour by Lane Shordee: "I moved into a home in Calgary that has a garage that was used to create carriages, so I decided to make one using scavenged material."
- Calgary Can by Kate Letizia and Stephanie Shields: "‘Calgary Can’ will be an inclusive and economically viable association of informal recyclers – often called bottle pickers or binners - united to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratically controlled social enterprise that provides a dignified, accepting and safe working environment."
- Stop & Drop by Lisa Gilmour: "Drop out of the rush, drop into the moment."
- Bully Bustin' Derby by Pam Taylor-Bailey: "Providing roller derby gear and skills to youth who are being victimized by bullies."
- Sched-U-All Student Scheduling by Kyle MacQuarrie: "Building community by allowing students to connect outside of class for group work."
- Art Walks by Julie Chandler: "Host art walks and donate artists' entry fees to charities working with those living in extreme poverty."
In the meantime, we're currently accepting submissions for our April 2012 prize. To submit an idea to AF-Calgary for consideration, fill out this handy-dandy web form. The deadline for April 2012 submissions is Tuesday, April 10, 2012 at 11:59 p.m.
Hope to see you out at Commonwealth on Thursday!