The next iteration of May 2011 AF-Calgary Fellow Kiran Somanchi's AudioMob YYC is back this month as AudioMob YYC 2: The Headphones Strike Back is almost upon us!
AudioMob YYC was heavily inspired by New York's ImprovEverywhere prank collective and was based off of their highly popular MP3 Experiments where members of the public were encouraged to download an MP3 file with audio instructions prior to meeting at a pre-defined place and time where they would then all activate the instructions simultaneously and follow them wherever they led. The effect being that those who weren't involved would have absolutely no idea why massive amounts of people were moving and doing seemingly random things in a coordinated manner, and those who were involved would get to be a part of one GIANT (and fun!) in-joke.
Billed as "one part flash mob, one part decentralized dance party and one part Jane's Walk," Kiran's AudioMob YYC project aimed to bring a similar experience to Calgarians, while at the same time helping to promote local Calgary musicians by featuring their works in the soundtrack, educating participants on local culture and landmarks, and showing everyone in general that Calgary truly is a cool, hip and happening place to be.
The first AudioMob YYC took place last August with hundreds of Calgarians taking part. Here's a taste of what happened:
The second AudioMob YYC is set to take place later this month and everyone's invited! Here's how it works:
- Download the mp3 file from AudioMobYYC.com starting five days prior to the event and load it into a mobile audio device.
- Sychronize your iPods, iPhones, Androids and wrist watches to the clock on the website.
- Show up at the starting location on the specified day and blend into the surroundings.
- At 5:15 p.m., hit play on your audio player and follow the instructions!
View Larger Map
- What: AudioMob YYC 2: The Headphones Strike Back!
- Where: Courthouse Park (along 4th Street and 6th Avenue SW)
- When: Friday, August 24, 2012 at 5 p.m.
- RSVP: Facebook