This is it! It's time for the FINAL Awesome Calgary Thousand Dollar Thursday of 2012.
First off, here are Awesome Foundation - Calgary's Top4 Finalists and Honourable Mentions for November 2012, in no particular order:
- Locked into Calgary by Sarah Hbeichi: "Love padlocks adorned to public art that declares 'I Love Calgary.'"
- Make Fashion by Shannon Hoover: "Make Fashion - Showcasing wearable technology by local designers."
- End of the World Music Festival by Kenna Burima: "The question posed to all Calgary musicians: If you had one last show, what would you do?"
- The Dybbuk-A Modern Day Dance by Jenna Shummoogum: "Incorporating interactive media projection, contemporary dance fused with the technical grace of ballet, and opera in an immensely theatrical presentation, La Caravan's newest awesome creation, set to premiere in January 2013, "The Dybbuk" is a hypnotic journey of love, obsession and surrender, that illustrates the importance of transcending our belief systems and revealing what is left beyond the body and beyond our thoughts."
- Battle City YYC by John Nguyen: "The first ever city-wide battle of the quadrants, i.e. the Stanley Cup of Calgary breaking (breakdancing)!"
- LUNCH'OUR' LAUGHTER by Noelle Rees: "Host massive lunch hour laughter yoga sessions for lots of downtown corporate stressed out folk in a convenient central space."
- UAS White Dwarf Gallery by Sally Raab: "United Art Society launches a brand new exhibition space featuring community-oriented programming."
BIG Congratulations to all of our Top4 Finalists and Honourable Mentions for November, and thank you so much to everyone who submitted an idea for this month! (Tip: Did you know that you can still submit your ideas for future months as well? Just resubmit the form!)
November's AF-Calgary Pitch Night is held in partnership with the Calgary Public Library's One Book, One Calgary program and as part of their Centennial celebrations. The book this year: The Book of Awesome.
- What: The FINAL Awesome Calgary Thousand Dollar Thursday of 2012, held in partnership with the Calgary Public Library's One Book, One Calgary program!
- Where: Calgary Public Library, Central Branch (616 Macleod Trail SE), Main Floor - South Open Area
- When: Thursday, November 22. Doors open at 6 p.m., pitches at 6:30 p.m. and AF-Calgary Awesome Hours/Meet & Mingle reception afterwards.
- RSVP: Eventbrite, Facebook or Yelp
Everyone is invited to come and watch the pitches and stay afterwards for a Meet & Mingle reception. Some refreshments prior to the event will be provided courtesy of the Calgary Public Library, and some of our previous Top4 Finalists will be in attendance to showcase some of their AWESOME SUCCESS, whether they won the $1,000 grant or not.
The Central CPL also has a Community Art Wall where people can submit art pieces for inclusion. The wall will be on display for the entire month of November, and for this event, the library will have a table set up with various art supplies that people can use to create some AWESOME art either before or after the event. So make sure to add your mark to this awesome art exhibit!
AF-Calgary Trustees will also be around before and after the event holding an informal Awesome Hours session where you can pick our brains about all things Awesome Foundation. If you've ever had a burning question about how the whole Awesome movement works, or need some inspiration about what projects or ideas are eligible for funding through our chapter or have been funded around the world (To date: 59 chapters, 12 countries on 6 continents!), feel free to ask us or to speak with previous Top4 Finalists and AF-Calgary Fellows for advice at our event!
So read up on The Book of Awesome, tell the library you did so, and help us end 2012 here at AF-Calgary with an Awesome BANG!
Finally, we're accepting submissions for our January 2013 micro-grant. If you have an Awesome Idea that you'd like to submit for consideration for the new year, fill out this handy-dandy web form!
Hope to see you out tomorrow!