If you see an idea on here that you want to help or get involved with, feel free to contact the submitter and help grow it in awesome ways! Or, send an email to Reg and he'll get you connected with any of the past Top4 Finalists or Honourable Mentions.
Finally, all of our winning ideas are also highlighted on our chapter's home page on the main Awesome Foundation website where you can see the original idea submissions in their own words, as well as some photos or videos of the projects if they've executed.
Previous AF-Calgary Winners
- July 2013: Bikes for Needy Kids by Richard Link: "I have the opportunity to supply quality mountain bikes to needy kids during 2013 Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day."
- May 2013: Pavo Concertus by Ravi Mani and Isabel Chan: "Junkyard Wars + Pickup Truck + Peacocks + Pianos = Peacock art truck with an array of lights and sound."
- April 2013: Give-A-Mile by Kevin Crowe: "Give a Mile is a Not-For-Profit looking to enable people to visit terminally ill friends and family through micro-donations of travel points."
- March 2013: Bare Bottoms Diaper Drive by Kristina Prins: "Diaper drive to support the Calgary Food Bank and families in need."
- February 2013: WRECK CITY - An Epilogue for 809 by Matthew Bouree, Caitlind r.c. Brown, Jennifer Crighton, Brandon Dalmer, Andrew Frosst, John Frosst, Shawn Mankowske and Ryan Scott: "A community-based experiment re-imagining domestic spaces, eight curators and 30 artists are transforming 11 houses scheduled for demolition into temporary art, installation, and performance spaces at the end of April 2013."
- January 2013: Kensington Interaction by Neil Egsgard: "Public display of local ideas and art in Kensington."
- November 2012: MakeFashion by Shannon Hoover: "Make Fashion - Showcasing wearable technology by local designers."
- October 2012: The 2nd Annual Log Driver's Waltz Gala - A Plaid Party! by Karilyn Thompson: "GIRAF Animation Festival welcomes the return of The Log Drivers Waltz Gala (Nov. 4th) a wholesome plaid-themed party hearkening to the days of National Film Board animations on CBC television in the 1960s."
- September 2012: PODPLAYS - Downloadable Art for Your Ears by Natalie Meisner: "Podplays are downloadable plays designed specifically for your ears. Simply choose your play and download, find the "set"/ public location on a map and head out there to discover your city in a new way!"
- August 2012: CLOUD by Caitlind r.c. Brown & Wayne Garret: "A large-scale interactive sculpture created from 5,000 re-appropriated domestic light bulbs, CLOUD invites the viewer to wander through a rain of pull strings, switching on and off lights to create the illusion of lightning on the cloud’s surface."
- July 2012: Urban Stationary by Kai Sinclair & Alastair Pollock (Calgary Creative City Collaboration): "Local semi-permanent art installations in Calgary Transit stations."
- June 2012: Buying Local Project by Ashleigh Ahern - "A series of 'community awareness' videos featuring a variety of local sustainable businesses."
- May 2012: Tool Library by Courtney Hare and Kristin Holm - "A tool lending co-op where people can borrow, for free, tools for home projects, maintenance and repairs."
- April 2012: The Calgary Cookie Chase by Simon Rock - "Imagine the Cookie Monster chasing cookies through Marda Loop. Now imagine that on YouTube done by four 15 year-olds. Yeah."
- March 2012: SurrogART (a.k.a. Remote Robo-Art) by Ben Reed - "The nerds & artists of Calgary are collaborating to create a remotely controllable art robot."
- February 2012: Two Winners!
- Timmy's Only Delivery Service by Tim Barber - "We deliver coffee, donuts, and food from downtown Calgary restaurants to downtown Calgary businesses."
- Gumsphere 300 by John Frosst - "A North America-wide traveling road show and rally with three Alberta bands, four artists, a film crew, one photojournalist, one mechanic, one chef and eight Ford Festivas."
- January 2012: Projection Bombing by Tyler Longmire - "A bike-powered, interactive mobile projection unit."
- November 2011: Haysboro School Dream Catcher Edible Garden by Lisa Demers - "In the spring of 2012, a veritable army of volunteers will build the most unique edible garden in Calgary."
- October 2011: The B.J.'s Gym Show by Angie Annis - "To bring together Calgary finest artists to honour 40 years of arts and community in Calgary."
- September 2011: Reel World Documentaries (a.k.a. Vids for Kids) by Chris Hsiung and Kate McKenzie - "Engaging junior high kids with community by teaching them how to seek out, storyboard, shoot, edit and produce short documentary films."
- August 2011: Free Classic Movie (a.k.a. Guerrilla Drive-In) by Matt Hamel - "Join like-minded Calgarians outside the Simmons Mattress Factory part of the new Riverwalk to watch Casablanca under the stars for free."
- July 2011: Illuminating Calgary Landscapes by Claudia Bustos and Vlad Amiot - "Our project’s goal is to invite Calgarians to illuminate overlooked city spaces using LED lights to create new and inviting landscapes."
- June 2011: Street Arials by the Calgary Circus School - "Bringing creative and unique display of physical movement by performing and teaching aerial arts in the streets."
- May 2011: MP3 Experiment by Kiran Somanchi - "Epic experiment in Calgary to bring people together and highlight the importance of Great Public Spaces."
- April 2011: YES! by Paisley Sim - "Look up to the sky for an inspiring, encouraging, positive message to Calgarians."